Monday, February 7, 2011

Bread Time For Brettsky

Well, we've come to the end of the bread unit. You know, it's only been 4 months, and I cannot BELIEVE how much we've already done. When I started this class (I almost said "journey" but quickly remembered I'm not a reality show cliche), the bread unit seemed so far away. And now, I've just finished it. Yeesh! Anyway, here we go!

First we have foccacia. It was fairly simple to make, although I never realized how much oil goes into it! We made ours with half tomato and half rosemary and sea salt. It turned out to be a delicious snack for my friends during a showing of the cinematic masterpiece, Mega Python vs. Gatoroid.


Next, we have the soft rolls. As plain and simple as these were, they were really delicious. Plus, we got to knot them into a variety of shapes, which was fun.


We also made English muffins. These were...not my favorite. First off, we fried them before baking them, so they're kind of greasy. They taste good, however...just like Thomas's.


These are the lemon poppyseed muffins.

And last but not least, we have the results of my test for Viennoiserie and breads. I think I did ok on these, but not as well as I would have hoped. Grades aren't in yet, so we'll see! I'd also like to give a shout out to the Purity Wrap in the background. Sure, it's just plastic wrap, but some of us in class can't help but think it's also some crazy Sarah Palinesque, abstinence-only education tool.


Well, aside from a freezer full of bread, that's all I got for now. We started petits fours last class, but I won't have anything to show for that until our next class. Expect financiers, tuiles, palets aux raisins, and much more.

3 comments:

  1. The only thing missing is the French press coffee and butter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brettsky--

    Forget about SHOWING us; we want to EAT it.

    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. We need some jam and fresh-churned butter for those rolls!

    ReplyDelete